Microsoft Project Server alternative
Today there are a lot of Project Managers and company who are looking for self-hosted project management software alternatives to Microsoft Project Server. You can find many community discussions about self hosted project management software solutions on social network such as Reddit. Even on a Quora forum people are looking for information on project management software tools which represents MS Project Server alternative.
But first, what is the MS Project Server and is it really necessary for companies?
What is Microsoft Project Server?
MS Project Server is a project management software solution made by Microsoft since 2000. Microsoft Project Server is the enterprise addition to Microsoft Project Professional (desktop client). Unlike the standalone project management tool on the desktop, the enterprise-wide solution for project and portfolio management is based on a central project server.
The Components of On-Premises Microsoft Project Server
Microsoft Project Server is a robust project management tool with many options but expensive for many small and medium companies.
Microsoft Project Server deployment also requires you to license :
- Windows Server,
- SQL Server and
- SharePoint Server
- You will also need SharePoint CAL, SQL CAL, etc..
The most important thing, the cost of implementing and licensing a Microsoft Project Server for a small company that has 10 employees can cost even $ 20,000 or more if you include education of employees.
MS project education and certification of employees
MS Project is complicated project management software that requires additional training of employees. Additional MS project education and certification of employees means additional costs for the company. Exam 74-343: Managing Projects with Microsoft Project cost $165.00 USD per user. If you do not want to pay expensive education of employees in some of the certified educational centers. On the udemy.com you can find Microsoft Project Certification 74-343 course at reasonable prices.
How to start company Project Server without MS Project Server
Today, many companies that want to have their own project server within their private cloud or network are looking for an alternative solution for the Microsoft Project Server. One of them is Kendo Manager. Kendo Manager is the Microsoft Project Server alternative solutions with many benefits for small and medium company.
Kendo Manager represents a combination of Microsoft .Net technology and MariaDB FREE open source database. MariaDB Server is one of the most popular database servers in the world. It’s made by the original developers of MySQL and guaranteed to stay open source. Many companies and users use MariaDB including Wikipedia, WordPress.com and Google.
The question is, how to start company Server without MS Project Server. If you have Kendo Manager easily. All we need is Kendo Manager and one Windows VPS that costs $ 15 a month. Depending on your budget and needs, buy one Windows VPS. In the next step, install Kendo Manager project server on your Windows VPS. Today you have many cloud hosting providers that offer Windows VPS servers at affordable prices.
Kendo Manager Windows VPS recommendation
We analyzed the offer of Windows VPS providers and made a list of recommendations.
- Google Cloud Platform, offered by Google, is a suite of cloud computing services that runs on the same infrastructure that Google uses internally for its end-user products, such as Google Search and YouTube. Google cloud provides a series of modular cloud services including computing, data storage, data analytics and machine learning.
- Webtropia.com is a Germany company. If you need Windows VPS in Germany, Webtropia is the best choice. We recommend Windows VPS Server S 6.0 (Price €9,99 Monthly or $ 15 a month, Windows server 2016, backup, 75 GB SSD, 4 GB memory, 2 core, DDOS protection).
- mCloud is the best SSD Cloud hosting in Serbia. mCloud is a professional cloud hosting service that is specialized for business users. mCloud offers high quality SSD hosting and automated platform. We are recommend Windows mServer SSD 2 (€47,5 Monthly)
- Godaddy is famous American and World hosting company. We are recommend Deluxe Windows VPS ($79.99 Monthly, 4 GB memory, 120 GB storage, Free 1-year SSL certificate, File and DB backups)
- Do not forget HostGator VPS . If you wish something Snappy, we recommend Snappy 4000 with 4 GB, 2 Cores and 165 GB Disk Space.
- You can also use Amazon AWS cloud if you wish.
- If your company is in Australia and if you want your Kendo Manager Project Management Server to be located with Australian cloud hosting providers, you can use, for example, Servermule or contact our partner in Australia Business Intelligence Services NT. Business Intelligence Services is an ICT consultancy and support service with more than 20 years of Information Technology experience across various sectors.
What is Kendo Manager
Kendo Manager is a simple Microsoft Project Server alternative solutions you can install on your own Windows VPS Server. Kendo Manager Project management software cost only $599 (Startup package) . In other words, you pay only once and keep all your data private. Kendo Manager is perfect for companies that want complete control over their projects.
- Unlimited number of projects
- No limit of team members
- Unlimited number of clients
- Task management
- Gantt Chart
- Kanban team management
- Cost Management & Budget Management
- Issue Tracking & Risk Management
- Time Management & Change Management
- Email and message notifications
- Powerful report tool
- Free installation on your request
- FREE 1 year upgrade
How to start 100% free Project Server
If you already have suitable IT infrastructure in place or can provide it, Kendo Manager is the perfect solutions for you. Also Kendo Manager has a 100% free version. We offer a FREE Project Management Software version of Kendo Manager for 1 active project, 2 active team members, 1 Admin account and All application options (free task management, free Gantt chart, free cost management, free time management, etc..). However, if you have bigger team and more project, you can download 30 days trial version or easily buy our license and unlock Kendo Manager after the trial period. Trial version comes with all application options, unlimited users and projects.
Do not forget, Kendo Manager does not require additional expensive education for employees.
Microsoft project FAQ
What can I use instead of Microsoft Project?
Kendo Manager is a great Microsoft Project replacement as it could be easily used by small businesses, startups, large enterprises, NGOs and, Local government as well.
Can you get Microsoft Project for free?
The Microsoft project is not free software, but Kendo has a free version of project management software for small teams. We offer a FREE Kendo Project Server for 1 active project and 2 active team members.
Is Microsoft Project the best project management software?
Microsoft project is great software. Whether the best project management software is the best depends on your needs. There are many great free and paid Microsoft project alternatives available today that can save your business money.
What is Microsoft Project Server used for?
Microsoft Project Server is a great product. It is ideal for highly structured projects with strict project management processes. All projects in Microsoft Project Server need to be structured and have a Microsoft Project plan. However, Microsoft Project Server is not designed for : Smaller, less formal projects (that may have no or very few tasks). Medium-sized projects (that may not have a Work Breakdown Structure). Larger projects (with or without Microsoft plans). Non-project-work (e.g. support requests, tasks, etc.).